I’ve done a few language challenges aimed at improving my German in the past. These challenges have gone well for a couple of weeks before I basically give up. This time I’m going to do a more structured approach and see if I can keep the momentum in order to achieve my goal.
Challenge Period: 1st July to 1st October, 2012
- Go from my current mid-A2 level to a B2 level.
- Be able to understand almost all of what is said to me and be able to respond accordingly.
- To be able to hold a conversation with one or more people for more than 30 minutes.
- To be able to read Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen with limited use of the dictionary.
Plan of Action
- Speak to at least one person per day for at least 30 seconds.
- Attend the Language Cafe meet-ups and speak in German only.
- Recruit my German speaking friends to converse with me only in German in exchange for coffee, beer, a meal etc.
- Read 5 pages of my graded German children’s books at least 5 days a week (currently on Klasse 2)
- Read 2 news articles in German per day at least 5 days a week
- Listen to German audio books to and from my way to work
- Watch at least 2 hours of German TV a week
- Watch at least 2 movies in German per month
- Listen to Deutsch Welle’s langsam gesprochene news every day
- Watch Karambloage every week
- Write in German every single day – this could be something short like a tweet or Facebook status or something longer like a blog post.
- Learn five new German words a day using flashcards
- Do 20 minutes of Duolingo 5 days a week
Challenge inspired by the amazing Benny Lewis whose blog posts always remind me that I’m not doing nearly enough to achieve my language goals & it is high time to get my ass into gear and stop slacking off.
If anyone wants to join me on my Language Summer Challenge, please do. You can create your own aims and plans of actions, you don’t have to follow my whacky ones, but I would love to fellow challengers to share the high points and low points with and talk about the things that are working and those that are not. Who’s up for it??